The Main Page!
The left hand side navigation bar has the "new Phorum" that can be accessed under "Click Here - Enter My Forum!" Stop on by and leave your two cents worth.
The main entry page at www.cafba.ca should be where all your searches of the cafba web site start.
It will always contain the latest polls ( get your vote in!); a place to subscribe to the newsletter; the most up to date links to the rest of the site; as well as a cartoon or joke to put a smile on your face.
It will occasionally have some comment and of course it will always have links to our sponsors, as it is they that help keep the site free!
So start all of your visits to the cafba web site here www.cafba.ca
- Sometime in Jan 2006 - 10th Anniversary of www.cafba.ca
- 01 Jan 2006 sixteenth Cafba Newsletter issued
- Birthdays in Jan - Happy Birthday Y'All
|Birthdate Last Name First Name|
|01-Jan Ewing Jane|
|01-Jan Koschzeck Lance|
|01-Jan Parker Ken|
|02-Jan Martin Susan|
|02-Jan Ryan Lynn|
|03-Jan Munn James (junior)|
|04-Jan Nichols Gary|
|05-Jan Scott Rose|
|06-Jan Pakenham Christine|
|06-Jan Sagriff James (Jim)|
|06-Jan Stack Peter|
|09-Jan Davies Larry|
|10-Jan Breffitt Jane|
|10-Jan St Pierre Anne|
|14-Jan Wilson David|
|15-Jan Fahlman Bill|
|15-Jan Martin Betty|
|17-Jan Miron Deanna|
|18-Jan Cale Lynda|
|19-Jan Bilick Cindy|
|20-Jan Lynch Debbie|
|20-Jan Nicks Don|
|20-Jan Pitchford John|
|21-Jan Maurice Richard|
|23-Jan Grant Denise|
|23-Jan Murray Patricia|
|23-Jan Plante Bernard|
|23-Jan Pleau Andy|
|24-Jan Despault Paul|
|26-Jan Voigt Thomas|
|28-Jan Hannan Patricia|
|29-Jan Kasawan Linda|
|29-Jan Reyno Ruth|
For those people whose names do not appear but who are also celebrating a B'Day this month, We wish you a Happy Birthday as well. We have only been asking for this data for a short time and not everyone wants it known. If you want yours added, send me a note.
This is the 16th edition of the cafba newsletter and it just keeps getting better, thanks to you!
Thanks to all of the new subscribers. If you have signed up but don't receive notification about the newsletter, perhaps you didn't confirm your email address at the time of subscribing. You will receive a confirmation email that must be replied to before your subscription is complete.
The newsletter signup is separate from being a registered cafba member! This allows those "other" BRATS who don't get a newsletter from their service to be able to belong to a community.
To ensure you receive notification of the newsletter being published, please add the two following email addresses to your contact list, sometimes known as the "white list". I will use both of these addresses for the newsletter and by placing them in your contact list, it will prevent the notices from being sent to your "spam folder"
Some navigation features have been added to this newsletter. Each section now provides the ability to return to the top of the page without having to scroll all the way. Just click on the word top found at the end of each section of the newsletter.
More and more mail servers are blocking attachments to emails or are scanning for known s*p*a*m words. We have experienced delivery problems to AOL, specifically and some free email address sites such as hotmail, netscape or yahoo.
So to avoid these delivery problems you will only receive a text message to let you know the newsletter has been published and where to find it.
Did you miss out on the previous newsletters?
They are now archived at http://grahamlange.homelinux.com/ca/cafba/newsletter/newsletters.html
Do you need a text only version of the newsletter?
Please share this copy with your friends. If they would like their own copy delivered to their inbox send them here.
As of publication of this newsletter we have over 11,368 names in the database. Are you registered? Go here and register your details now so you can be included in the website.
All registrations for December 2005 have been added to the web site. We still have a backlog of registrations that I am endeavouring to get to. Unfortunately, just not enough spare time anymore. Please be patient.
A listing of the latest new members can be found here: http://grahamlange.homelinux.com/ca/cafba/members/newest/newest.html.
I do appreciate the patience of those who have yet to be updated. Your details will eventually get on the web site!
Your Opinion Counts!
Dec Poll results:
The Dec 2005 poll, found on the main page of the cafba site, asked the question:Is Santa Just A Myth?
Santa is Safe! Thanks to everyone who cast their vote. The majority still believe.
- Total of 20 votes were cast. This total is down substantially from Nov's 59 record votes and a long way! To those who took the time to vote....Thanks for participating.
Here are the results of the Dec poll.
- Yes - Of Course 9 of 20 votes for 45.00%
- No - But My Kids Do! 1 of 20 votes for 5.00%
- Doesn't Everyone? 7 of 20 votes for 35.00%
- He Won't Come If I Don't Believe! 3 of 20 votes for 15%
- Total Votes cast: 22
A new poll was started as of 01 Jan 2006.
Here is the new poll question: Are you voting in the upcoming election?
Not sure who to vote for?
Do you know what the issues are and who supports your issues?
Go and look at the issues before casting your vote
Then get your vote in. Go to www.cafba.ca and cast your vote from the navigation bar on the right side of the page.
Have a question you would like surveyed? Email us with your question.
If you haven't voted yet, please do so - your opinion counts!
Watch for our next poll starting in Feb 2006.
The last 5 questions of the Fab Four Quiz!
- 21. How many people tuned in to see the Beatles perform on the "Ed Sullivan Show" on February 9, 1964
- 22. What was John Lennon's signature guitar?
- 22. "When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now, will you still be sending me a _________?" (one word)
- 24. "There's a place, where I can go, when I feel low, where I feel blue.." Where is this place?
- 25. In what year did Paul marry Linda and John marry Yoko?
Answer's to last month's Fab Four Quiz!
Have you checked out the past trivia contest answers on the cafba website? Answers to the questions can be found at http://grahamlange.homelinux.com/cafba/trivia/trivia.htm
Do you have a good trivia question? Send it in and we will use it in future contests.
Newsletter Trivia Question
This edition's 10 quick trivia questions:
- How many ridges are around the edge of a dime?
- How many muscles does a cat have in each ear?
- What is the lifespan of a dragonfly?
- How long is a goldfish's memory span?
- How long can a snail sleep for?
- What did Al Capone's business card state what type of business he was in?
- True or False! An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain?
- How many vocal sounds do cats have?What is the only English word that ends in "mt"?
- Are babies born with kneecaps?
- Which fish can blink with both eyes?
Answer in the next newsletter
Answer to last newsletter's trivia question:
Well known Canadian Figures. Did you remember what they were known for?
- Lois Marshall - Music
- Joey Smallwood - Politics
- Gordie Howe - Sports
- Frederick Banting - Medicine
- Glen Gould - Music
- Ian and Sylvia - Entertainment
- David Thompson - Exploration
- Robert Service - Poetry
- Samuel de Champlain - Exploration
- Joseph Howe - Politics
- John Cabot - Exploration
- George Pidgeon - Church
- Pauline Johnston - Poetry
- Jacques Cartier - Exploration
- Egerton Ryerson - Church
Book your seats NOW! The airshow season in Canada is almost upon us for another season!
Check out upcoming airshows from the cafba website at http://grahamlange.homelinux.com/cafba/airshows/airshows.htm
What do you remember the most about attending an air show when you were young? Check out these shows, they will bring back all those great memories.
Been to an Air Show yet? Take any pictures you care to share?
Know of a show that is not listed? Let me know so we can add it to the next newsletter
Planning a reunion is a tremendous job. My hat goes off to everyone who has participated in putting together a reunion.
For those people who attended a reunion, please send your thanks to the organizing committees for a job well done. If you attended a reunion this summer why not share your pictures and memories with us.
There are lots of reunions coming up with more planned for future years. If you know of one not listed please let me know so we can include it in the next newsletter.
Upcoming Events and ReunionsMail us and let us know of any reunions you are aware of. We will post them here as well as link to any web pages.
Once again it's Photo Reunion Time! A new location for the Milfoto Reunion has been selected to take place in 8 Wing Trenton (the old CFB Trenton). Mark your calendars now and reserve this weekend for a good time and get together with your fellow photographers. See the website at http://www.milfoto.ca/main_eng.html
- June 30, July 1 & 2, 2006. Arthur Meighen High School's Homecoming and Farewell.
AMHS and Portage Collegiate Institute are being amalgamated into one high school. PCI and Prince Charles School will be used as the new campus, while AMHS will become a middle school. Website with a downloadable registration form being completed. More details to follow. Contact Barb Galbraith for further information or check out the web site at http://www.plpsd.mb.ca/amhs/reunion
- Brats from Ramstein Air Base in the early 60s were planning a reunion in the summer of 2006. Does anyone have any info on this reunion? Web site? Contacts?
- July 6th - 8th / 2006 AFCENT (Brunsumm Holland)Winnipeg, MB, Canada 2006 AFCENT reunion. Sorry this reunion is put on hold for now!
- August 4th - 7th, 2006 Canadian Overseas Brats Reunion Association COBRA III - Calgary 2006 This reunion is for all "Brats" that lived Overseas. More information can be found at http://lahr.myevent.com/
- 13 September 2006 ALL personnel and their dependants, military or civilian, who served on Starfighter bases during the 1961-1983 Starfighter years. An Alaska Cruise Reunion will depart from and return to Vancouver B.C. Click here for more information http://www3.telus.net/csacruise07/ or check out some additional information on the cafba web site at /ca/cafba/events/starfighter/Starfighter.htm or contact Armin Karcher firstname.lastname@example.org or Jurgen Koenig, koenig.ZW@t-online.de
for further details. We have negotiated a great payment plan with Sears Travel that allows you to book now with no payments due until after your return from the trip. Sears will also make a financial donation for each attendee to a non-profit trust fund to be used to support community project of your choice. See you on the boat!
- September 15-17, 2006 for 1 Air Division HQ, Metz France. If you were a dependent or a teacher in Metz at anytime, join us in Vancouver, BC for a trip down nostalgia lane while renewing old friends and acqaintances. Website for more info http://www.metzbrats.ca or contact Ron Bauman at email@example.com for more information. Registration begins 15 Sep 2005.
- September 15-17, 2006 To those of you that were ever at the #3(F)Wing,RCAF,Zweibrucken,Germany. There is a reunion planned for the "50th" anniversary of the Peter Cunningham Memorial Arena on the 3rd week-end in September of 06. There is a bistro also in the arena,called the "Flyers Bistro" as well there is a hudge German gasthaus along side the arena. Just thought that you'd be pleased to know..........Hank Siemens, RCAF ret.
- Oct 6-7, 2006 St Joe's Scollard Hall Reunion
There is going to be one huge reunion for all years and all alumni from both schools and also celebrating 20yrs of St Joe's and Scollard Hall being together.
For more info check out their website: www.sjshreunion.com
For any brats that went to these schools from
CFB North Bay and lived on base or in the BLH housing near Cirlce Lake.
- May 04-05 2007 is the 50th anniversary of Rideau High School, Ottawa. A reunion is scheduled for past faculty and students. The event will include open house, dance and the 2007 annual golf tournament. Most of the kids from Rockcliffe Air Base went to this high school after it opened in 1957. For further information see http://rideauhigh.com/page8.html
If you are on one of the upcoming reunion committees and want your reunion profiled, how about sending in some information about the event being planned? How many are you expecting? Where is the farthest BRAT coming from? What social events are planned? What accommodation has been arranged? Where can we register to attend? Is there a web site that we can refer to?
If you have attended a reunion recently, why not let the other members know how it was. What were your experiences? Would you go back and do it again? Did you reunite with some old school chums? Was it all you expected it to be? Want to share some of your pictures? Write me with the details and we'll include them in the next newsletter.
For additional details on any of these reunions, check out the reunions page: http://grahamlange.homelinux.com/ca/cafba/events/upcoming.htm on the cafba website!
If your reunion isn't listed, email me and we'll put it in the next newsletter as well as adding it to our site.
Cafba Website Navigation
Did you know!
We have changed servers again and there is a small change in the url addresses for the site. If you are getting "404 error messages" that state the web page is unavailable, it is likely that you are trying to access an old cached record. The new server DOES NOT have /ca/cafba in the url address on any page. It is simply "/cafba..." The "/ca.." division has been dropped. As alwyas the main page is the best place to access all of the cafba pages from. The main page is always current.
We have alphabetized and updated (as of 01 Dec 2005) the "How To Contact A Brat" links on the cafba links page at http://grahamlange.homelinux.com/cafba/links/links.htm
We have a new navigation bar down the left and right side of the main cafba page at www.cafba.ca
Would you like a search facility on the site?
Do you have a product or service that you can offer all Brats?
Do you have a suggestion on how we can improve the site? Please let us know!
Check out the base pictures that have been added for Lamacaza Many thanks to BRAT Glen Kennedy for this terrific additions to the site.
Carol McNamara has contributed two more pictures from North Bay Thanks Carol for these terrific additions to the site. Can you name the kids from the 1968 Grade 8 Paul Davoud School class? Were you at the Teen Town Marathon Dance in the second Picture?
Check out these and all the other base pictures at
http://grahamlange.homelinux.com/cafba/bases/basepics.htmlHave a picture to share? Email me to arrange transfer
I know that lots of people have been exploring their past recently and have made visits to the bases where we used to live.
Not all of us have the luxury of being able to travel back to our past but we all wonder what it is like today!
Why not share your visit for all to read by writing a review for the cafba news. Let us know what has changed, how you felt, share some memories or even pictures
For a great collection of base pictures check out Tom Straub's Photo Albums
- "What was your favorite Christmas moment living on a base and where were you?"
- Re: How many of you have gone back to look at your old bases and found them half torn down or closed?
- PLEASE SIGN UP IF INTERESTED IN A BIG REUNION FOR ALL AIRFORCE BRATS
- Check out the base pictures page and see you can recognize the base posted on the where is it page.
Go here http://grahamlange.homelinux.com/cafba/bases/pictures/whereisit/whereisit.htm
What can you remember? Send in your recollections for the next newsletter.
Do you have a fond memory of your base? Send it in and let others share in those memories!
A Cafba Recommended website
There is no cafba recommended web site for this issue!
If you have a web site submit it for the next newsletter.
Are you interested in listing your site on the cafba web site? Simply email us the link to your site and provide a brief description of its contents and why you made it.
You could be our next cafba recommended web site!
To have your site profiled in this newsletter, contact the firstname.lastname@example.org
Found on the Cafba Forum
Entries to the forum continue to be down substantially over previous months. Access to the forum is now password protected. The current password is airforcebrat All one word. All small letters. This password will be changed from time to time and the new password will be announced here in the monthly newsletter
The password was added due to inappropriate comments and topics being left by outsiders. I apologize if you think the password is going to far.
Following are just some of the comments found on the forum recently
- "There is Scollard Hall-ST Joe's reunion next Oct 2006 for all students who went there."
- "Wishing all brats out there a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy 2006! Here's wishing you find your long lost brat friend in 2006!"
- "I also enjoyed the winter carnivals in Southport (Portage) playing floor hockey in the hanger with no offsides!"
- "I think my dad and Pete played with my train all night."
- Check out the new forum that can be reached from the main web page under "My Phorum - Click Here" on the left hand navigation bar. Let's hear what is on your mind. Remember the password to access the forum is airforcebrat
Found on the can.military-brats newsgroup
- "Wishing you all the best in 2006. Stay good and Bratty all. "
- "see you all at the Polar Bear Swim!" (ed. Brrrrrr!)
- "wanna audition for weather girl...Do I get to at least wear an umbrella?...Thank you for applying, but your insatiable demands on our
wardrobe budget has led to selecting another applicant. "
- "party like you just don't care"
- "But I bet a good woman can keep you down."
Brat Chat Musings
Link to the Brat Chat here http://email@example.com/
This is not the newsgroup which is found at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/can.military-brats but instead is the live chat room for Brats. Both places are loads of fun and filled with Brats of all ages, descriptions and viewpoints.